New release-plan

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Nov 28 08:03:46 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 November 2009 21:44:31 David Nolden wrote:

> So Andreas said the only way of getting back the source-formatter is releasing
> KDevelop4 separately of the 4.4 release cycle.
>
> Due to my somewhat reduced time, and as I feel that 2 months of feature-freeze
> are not enough after 3 years of development, I anyway think that we need
> slightly more time to fully stabilize KDevelop.
>
> So, I hereby propose an alternative release plan:
>
> - From now on, enter a "weak" feature freeze. That means: It is allowed to add
> specific features that we consider important for the 4.0 release, after
> discussions. For example need at least _some_ kind of source-formatting
> support.
>
> - At 1st Feburary enter "hard" feature freeze.
>
> - At 30th March, Release KDevelop 4.0.
>
> I think that in this time, we can make KDevelop4 really rock-solid.

My position is this:

- The best way to get me to fix some debugger issues is to set a deadline. It does not
matter which one, but I imagine that KDE-wide deadline is much more inconvenient
to slip.
- At present, I do not use KDevelop for my C++ work. For exactly one reason -- it
is uncapable of going Gnu-style  on-fly formatting of code. So, I would ideally prefer
that everybody stop doing whatever they do now and implement sane code formatting.

I have no idea how to make any concrete decision out of the above points.

- Volodya