New release-plan

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 27 21:38:08 UTC 2009

On 27.11.09 19:44:31, David Nolden wrote:
> So Andreas said the only way of getting back the source-formatter is releasing
> KDevelop4 separately of the 4.4 release cycle.
>
> Due to my somewhat reduced time, and as I feel that 2 months of feature-freeze
> are not enough after 3 years of development, I anyway think that we need
> slightly more time to fully stabilize KDevelop.
>
> So, I hereby propose an alternative release plan:
>
> - From now on, enter a "weak" feature freeze. That means: It is allowed to add
> specific features that we consider important for the 4.0 release, after
> discussions. For example need at least _some_ kind of source-formatting
> support.
>
> - At 1st Feburary enter "hard" feature freeze.
>
> - At 30th March, Release KDevelop 4.0.
>
> I think that in this time, we can make KDevelop4 really rock-solid.

Looking at the answers thus far it seems pretty clear that everybody is
either in favor of dropping out of the 4.4 cycle or is not 100% sure but
would prefer doing it if it gains us something.

I'll wait until sometime sunday afternoon and will then announce this to
the release-team and see wether I can move the projects or wether I need
a sysadmin to do the move for me. That way we won't be part of the KDE
4.4 beta which will probably be less confusing to users (compared to an
app that vanishes in beta2).

You will be imprisoned for contributing your time and skill to a bank robbery.