New release-plan

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 22:37:44 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 27 November 2009 23:09:34 schrieb Alexander Dymo:
> п'ятниця, 27-лис-2009 23:53:19 David Nolden ви написали:
> > But I won't participate in that suckage. Why do we need to do it? It
> > gains us nothing. I hate that KDE4 has done it that way..
>
> I also hated that. But I can't see alternatives. 4.0 won't be ready
>  anytime. Just it has too many problems. I personally can easily list 10
>  issues why sublime and shell need to delay the release.
Those issues seem to be really non-critical to the end-user, as I'm aware of
only one critical sublime issue (a random crash).

The important thing is that we release an app that is well-usable on the users
side. We're very close to that, it doesn't make sense rushing it out so close
to the target in a "nearly good" state, when we can have it in a "good" state
just a few months later.

If we release unfinished with KDE 4.4, the feature-freeze would be lifted
early, and we'd happily start creating new features until the next again too
short feature-freeze, and the cycle continues. That might lead to an ever-
unstable application, or only a very slow convergence towards stability, as
can be seen in many examples on KDE4 (Plasma becoming just usable after the
3rd minor release, etc.).

Greetings, David