New release-plan

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:32:45 UTC 2009

п'ятниця, 27-лис-2009 21:41:28 David Nolden ви написали:
>  Personally I think we would
>  have much better quality software if each application would release
>  completely at its own pace, at times when the application is _really_
>  stable.
Which usually means _never_ release.

I personally think that:

1) The direction Andreas took (to remove all unfinished/not working stuff) is
the only right way to do the release

2) We need to release now. KDevelop is a big project, you will always want to
"finish" things here and there. 1 month of delay won't change anything in this
respect

3) We need to face the fact, 4.0 release will suck anyway. It won't be feature
complete and it won't work well. Remember, 3.0 wasn't that good either. It's
3.1 release which was really good.

4) To stabilize, let's continue to throw out and disable features. That's not
as bad as you, guys think. Commercial software development has taught me that
people can live without surprising amount of features, just as long as your
app doesn't crash ;)

So, my proposal is:
- release 4.0 with KDE 4.4
- ask for an exemption and get source formatter back to 4.0.1 (not 4.1!) if
it's ready