KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 27 12:20:26 UTC 2009

On 27.11.09 11:32:13, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Friday 27 November 2009 11:06:25 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > On Thursday 26 November 2009 13:54:53 David Nolden wrote:
>
> > As I said, the plugin cannot be re-activated without re-activated the
> > public API or a major overhaul.
>
> Can't we just deprecate it? And add a notice that it will be gone by 4.4.1 or
> something?

I'm not going to start with public API declared deprecated in the initial
release. That simply doesn't make any sense at all.

> > > As for the freeze and such matters, that is what freeze exceptions are
> > > for.
> >
> > Its not just the exception, its also that somebody needs to do it soon and
> > fast. And I'd rather spend my time fixing up the other loose ends than
> > trying to create a hack on something under great pressure thats going to be
> > thrown away again in 6 weeks anyway.
>
> What I don't get: This worked a few weeks ago, last time I updated. 1052413
> seems to still work, but I don't dare upgrade now. I think I am missing some
> important piece of the puzzle here: What has happened in those few days that
> requires the removal of such an important part of KDevelop?

Its public API we'd have to maintain, its code that nodoby wants to work on
and it has serious design problems that cause crash-bugs when you're trying
to configure things. Its simply code thats not up to our standards (IMHO)
and thus shouldn't be part of the release. We've removed lots of plugins
already for exactly this reason.

> I consider this important enough that I am willing to volunteer for whatever
> work is necessary, I just don't get what exactly needs to be done in the short
> run.

There's nothing that should or can be done in the short run. We're in
feature freeze. As I said, the only way to get source formatting into the
4.0.0 release is by dropping out of the release cycle.

In the stairway of life, you'd best take the elevator.