Memory consumption with large projects

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Nov 25 23:09:55 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 23:50:04 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> I tried to open a project with roughly 500 000 lines of C code (about 180M
>  on disk) and got some strange issues with memory consumption.
>
> During parsing (no persistant storage used):
> - 3.8G used right after parser is started and before it showed 1% in the
> progress bar
> - it then looked like that memory was free'd and KDevelop started actually
>  to parse
> - 2.2G occupied after parsing
>
> During loading from persistant store:
> - just 200M was used (at any time)
>

> Do those numbers make sense? I'd be most curious to find out why KDev takes
>  so much memory.

Hey Adymo! Off to fixing bugs in Ruby again? :)

This behavior is known. Afaik it is suspected to be due to (at least in some
degree) the kernel/whoever not coping well with lots of small frees => memory
fragmentation.

We should probably start to use memory pools here and there, at least that was
the "solution" I have in my memory.

Bye!

PS: You got time for the meeting in 2010 in Berlin? ;-)
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de