Memory consumption with large projects

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:50:04 UTC 2009

I tried to open a project with roughly 500 000 lines of C code (about 180M on
disk) and got some strange issues with memory consumption.

During parsing (no persistant storage used):
- 3.8G used right after parser is started and before it showed 1% in the
progress bar
- it then looked like that memory was free'd and KDevelop started actually to
parse
- 2.2G occupied after parsing

During loading from persistant store:
- just 200M was used (at any time)

Do those numbers make sense? I'd be most curious to find out why KDev takes so
much memory.

PS: to reproduce the problem,
- get ruby sources: ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/snapshot.tar.gz
- build them  (important, as more C code is generated during the build)
- open ruby directory in kdevelop (makefile project)