API Review anyone?

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 23 00:10:27 UTC 2009

Am Montag 23 November 2009 00:15:30 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering wether anybody else is willing/interested in doing a bit
> of API review on our public API in
> kdevplatform/(interfaces,project,language,shell,util,vcs,outputview).
> I've noticed some minor things which I'll try to "just fix" (like
> missing Private-classes and private member functions).
>
> But there might also be public API that "doesn't make any sense" or
> seems questionable. Obviously I can't decide on those things just alone,
> but if nobody else is interested I'll just do the technical fixup and
> keep the API review for a later release.
>
> Andreas
>
> PS: We're guaranteeing ABI for the 1.0/4.0 release, that is all
> patch-releases will need to be BC, however we can break BC with 1.1/4.1
> if we want/need to.

I think we just shouldn't care about that stuff for the 4.0 release, as we
will have enough to do with making KDevelop stable and usable.

And about ABI, I actually think that, given the current state of KDevelop in
the 'ecosystem', the whole ABI compatibility stuff like d-pointers is
overengineering. Honesty, I've grown to hate d-pointers, like I hate any other
unnecessary layer of indirection that makes it harder to write and understand
code. We should care about these issues only once they really start being
relevant.

Greetings, David