kdevelop API documentation

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri May 15 18:55:50 UTC 2009

On 14.05.09 01:45:38, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009, Ramon Zarazua wrote:
> > I just realized yesterday that even though the kdevplatform documentation
> > is hosted on http://api.kde.org along with the rest of KDE documentation,
> > the kdevelop documentation is not. It is hosted on kdevelop.org, and uses a
> > wholly different format.
>
> Is it supposed to be Doxygen style APIDOX? That is what api.kde.org hosts.

No, if you look at the docs at:

http://www.kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/api/html/

You'll quickly notice two things:

- there are a lot of other informations there (like how to get in
  contact, what kdevelop is etc)
- the documentation is outdated and incomplete (meaning it doesn't cover
  all plugins in kdevelop.

> > I asked about this in IRC and was told that it was because the webmasters
> > at api.kde.org have not provided some macros that the kdevelop
> > documentation uses.
>
> I do not know which macros you speak of - I think we generally try to mess
> around as little as possible with the documentation generation and build only
> what is easy to get at. That said, I vaguely remember trying KDevelop
> documentation before, but my mail archives aren't that accurate, so I would
> need to be reminded what the specific problems are.
>
> > Personally, I think that kdevplatform and kdevelop
> > documentation should be together, and following the same interface, since
> > they are highly dependent modules.
>
> I think that's a good idea, yes.

If there was anything that would need to be documented in kdevelop yes,
but at this point I don't see a reason to have api.kde.org host the
dump of classes that make up our plugins, especially as most of them
don't have any api docs at all.

> > So my question is: Are there any intentions of moving the kdevelop
> > documentation to api.kde.org, or moving kdevplatform over to kdevelop.org?
>
> None current that I know of. I can't really judge which would make the most
> sense (there may have been issues, too, with the KDE3-KDE4 transition; that
> shook up the DOX somewhat).

Neither of the two should happen. KDevPlatform is mostly libraries, with
public API thats well hosted at a central place on api.kde.org IMHO.
KDevelops doxygen documentation is mostly non-api-reference (see also
the part above about classes not being documented at all), so it should
stay on www.kdevelop.org.

You will be married within a year.