Patch for preliminary Mercurial integration in kdevplatform

Fabian Wiesel fabian.wiesel at fu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 15 20:39:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:50:30 +0100
Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 14.03.09 10:43:25, Fabian Wiesel wrote:
> Well, don't you have that problem right now too? i.e. what happens if
> two of the hg-processes run at the same time on the same repository
> doing different things?

That is no problem. As any sane VCS (in other words all but CVS), the
software is already written that two (or more processes) can access the
same repository at the same time.

> I don't know the python API (or even used
> mercurial at all), but python itself can be made "single-threaded" by
> locking the GIL so thats not necessarily an issue unless multiple
> python interpreters are used.

AFAIK, due to the GIL, Python is _just_ single a single thread of
execution. There threads, but at no time there are more than two threads
actually running in an interpreter. Still, you can have several threads
in python, but the question stands: Is the code mercurial written to be
reentrant? I don't think so. So, I'll expect to have to go for one
interpreter <-> one thread.
I will definitely give it a try, but I expect some difficulties.

Fabian