Beta4 Release tarballs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 24 19:50:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've created tagged kdevelop Beta4 now (trunk is unfrozen so happy
comitting), finished up the release announcement and created tarballs.
I'm currently building them on my work machine with KDE 4.2 , but I'd
like to ask anybody with a spare moment reading here to try to build and
do a quick sanity test as well. I've put them onto my private server for
now, so don't look to hard on the download-speed :)

You can fetch them from www.apaku.de/vardata the files are named
kdevelop-3.9.94.tar.bz2 and kdevplatform-0.9.94.tar.bz2 (wanted to avoid
direct urls so the server doesn't get flooded by some crawler script)

Unless I hear from somebody about major problems (or see any commits
that need to be part of the beta4) I'll be uploading the tarballs
tomorrow evening along with a mail to the packagers and will also
send the text to the dot-editors. I'm going to make sure they'll be
posting it on saturday.

The announcement text will be as follows (open for discussion of
course). Amilcar I'll try to send you the final version when I get it
from the dot-editors - usually some typo's and a bit of
native-english-changes are done - so you can put it up on our website:
,----
| On behalf of the KDevelop team I am happy to announce the Beta4 release of
| KDevelop4. This release includes some major new features, such as <a
| href="http://zwabel.wordpress.com/2009/06/21/kdevelop4-ui-areas-working-sets-etc/">Working
| Sets (only available when building with KDE4.3)</a>, integration of the
| quickopen functionality into the toolbar and a new perspective switcher (see
| the upper right corner of the mainwindow). We have of course also fixed again a
| lot of bugs, for example non-text files such as images won't crash kdevelop
| anymore when closing them, valgrind execution is working again, the debugger's
| variable view has been fixed and a lot of crash fixes related to parsing and
| code-completion popups.
|
| I'd like to point out that you'll need the latest beta or the
| soon-to-be-released RC1 of KDE 4.3 to experience all the new features as some
| of them need the newer KDE libraries. Furthermore this is the first beta release
| that officially builds, starts and can load projects under Microsoft Windows.
| For that you'll definetly need the latest svn version (or RC1) as it contains a
| lockup-fix for solid which can be triggered with some combinations of Windows
| and Microsoft Compilers.
|
| You can fetch the source packages for KDevPlatform and KDevelop from the
| <a
| href="http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=unstable/kdevelop/3.9.94/src/">KDE
| mirrors</a>. Make sure you download both packages and build KDevPlatform before
| KDevelop.  If you build yourself make sure to read and understand <a
| href="http://apaku.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/setting-up-environment-for-running-kdevelop4/">Setting
| up Environment for running KDevelop4</a>.
`----

Tonight you will pay the wages of sin; Don't forget to leave a tip.