DVCS plugin interface

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jun 21 18:18:41 UTC 2009

On 21.06.09 12:54:46, Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to get the git plugin usable in kdev4 and have some doubts
> about DVCS plugins and VCS plugins in general, here we go:
>
> DVCS plugin have some pieces of code that are not called from anywhere and
> some methods that don't need to be different from VCS plugin. e.g.:
>
> KDevelop::DistributedVersionControlPlugin has a pure virtual method:
>
> void parseLogOutput(const DVcsJob * job,
>                                 QList<DVcsEvent>& revisions) const = 0;
>
> that nobody calls, the git and mercurial (I think) plugins have
> implementations for this method, but useless implementations, because nobody
> calls it.

Well, even if its not called currently it might have been planned to be
called.

> From kdevplatform/vcs/dvcs/ui I think that just the branch manager is used...
> and (I hope) the importmetadata widget. Some things like log view, commit view
> are redundant and IMO should use the code used in VCS plugins.

Yes, but nobody changed it yet.

> svn diff; git diff; etc is not working, maybe it could use the kompare kpart
> to display the diff.

Sure, again, nobody had time to do that.

> To finish, the commit dialog could show the diff (kompare kpart) when you
> select a file in the file list, because a diff view precedes any good commit,
> and the place to do it is commit dialog.

I object to that, two reasons:

a) it makes the dialog even larger. The dialog is already large enough as
it is. And I don't like dialogs on top of dialogs either, thats a really
bad UI
b) a diff cannot be easily shown in small space, you really want the full
editor area for that

So what could work is make the commit dialog non-modal and show the diff in
the editor and have the dialog stay on top, thats a bit like the
find-dialog in kde3/kate and I know its annoying to have to move it around
but the best compromise I can think of right now. I don't think a
commit-dialog like the current find-dialog in kde4 works very well.

You have Egyptian flu: you're going to be a mummy.