Launch Configuration Realign (Mockup)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 16 19:05:52 UTC 2009

On 16.06.09 20:53:33, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Niko Sams, 16.06.2009:
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:02, Milian Wolff<mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > > I don't really know why this should be editable there - or shown at all.
> > >  Could someone explain what is planned for these types? I mean we have
> > > the type selection dropdown (disabled) on the right side... Why should it
> > > also be on the left side?
> >
> > That's a different type.
> > On the left there will be more types added like script, website etc.
> > Every type provides
> > it's own configuration (you have completely different settings for a
> > openting website)
>
> What is the type on the right side then?

The type in the tree identifies what configuration type you have, i.e. a
website-launch-config, one for a python script, or one for a perl
script.

On the right side you see the actual GUI for this specific type. For
each type you can have different launch modes, for example "run" or
"debug" or also "profile". For each launch mode you can potentially have
multiple plugins that provide this launch mode for this particular
configuration. One example would be debug on windows, where you can have
two different debuggers - gdb and VisualStudio debugger - for the same
launch config type - which is "Native Application".

I agree though its a bit unfortunate that you have "Native Application"
for "Run" mode as well as for type. I'm open to suggestions on how to
improve the name for the Launcher for "Run" mode - I don't think we
should present "Execute" (i.e. the name of the actual plugin) here.

You will outgrow your usefulness.