Classbrowser thoughts

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Jun 5 12:36:49 UTC 2009

Hi guys!

I have some questions and ideas for the Classbrowser plugin:

1) PHP has a strange bug where I'm not sure if it's my fault or if the
classbrowser is doing something wrong. To reproduce, install the PHP
plugin from playground and open any .php file and insert something like

class foobar extends IteratorIterator {
}

What you will notice:

the Classbrowser won't update itself automatically, you have to close
"all projects classes" and open it again to see the new class (foobar)

Strange thing is that the classbrowser _does_ update itself when I add
members of methods to a Cpp class. But that does not work for PHP. Why?

2) Now look at any class in the class browser which has a base class.
When you go to the base class and its derived classes you can see the
first class again:

foobar
   -> Base classes
     -> IteratorIterator
       -> Derived Classes
         foobar
         -> start from top ;-)

I think it would be good to either not show foobar in the list of
derived classes in this case. Or alternativly just show the name but
don't let the user expand this item.

3) If you have some levels expanded in the browser and close one of the
parent items and reopen it, all children below will be closed. For
example open foobar and its Base classes. Then trigger "all projects
classes" and foobar and all its children will be closed. This is
unexpected behaviour and annoying.

4) "all project classes" implies to me that the class browser can filter
by project. But this does not seem to work for me. I only have the
top-level item "all project classes".

5) It would be good if the class browser would filter by language (I'd
say at top-level, and below that by project). It doesn't make much sense
to have cpp and php classes in one tree to me.

Also you might want to make the top-item(s) always expaneded if there is
only one. I.e. for someone who only works on cpp he would not want to
close the cpp language tree in the browser. Same would possibly count if
there's only one project opened.

--
Milian Wolff
http://milianw.de