KCM's linking against shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 3 20:31:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

just saw that a couple of our settings kcm's link against shell and
other libs from kdevplatform and/or KDE4. As far as I could see all of
that is simply to update the relevant places when the user did some
changes in the KCM. Luckily for that there already exists a good way,
KSettings::Dispatcher which can notify any slot about changes in a
specific kcm, so there's no real need to do the updating from inside the
kcm.

I'm wondering how much public API exists that is there just for this
updating to work and which could be made private if the updating would
be done inside shell itself?

Apart from that it would be good to really have nothing except the
actual application binary (and tests) to link against shell.

You will always get the greatest recognition for the job you least like.