KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 27 16:04:27 UTC 2009

On 27.07.09 17:06:43, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 16:48:06 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 27.07.09 16:11:59, David Nolden wrote:
> > > Great, so you reverted my commits because your build is broken. ;-)
> >
> > f*$(@##@($@ BC, another complete cleanup solved this, I wonder what was
> > left last time - or wether I'm already halluzinating things...
> >
> > > Anyone else got those crashes?
> >
> > Yeap masch on IRC, KDE4.2 too.
> >
> > Including shortcuts and toolbar-editing? BTW. your kdelibs is built in
> > release mode, might want to change that to catch things like the
> > empty xmlfile argument for setXMLFile causing problems.
> >
> > See the attached screenshot, thats what I got after creating a second
> > window, changing a shortcut and then closing it via window-close-button.
> > And its there on the next start of kdevelop too.
> >
> > So even though it turns out that the original reason why I reverted was
> > indeed a problem here, the feature is far too unstable/untested/incomplete
> > to be in trunk. I _do_ want to release a beta in the next 10-14 days.
> A step forward is a step forward. I don't get why _development_ should not
> happen in trunk.

Because we are actually getting to a point where kdevelop behaves quite
ok and these things basically throw us back 2 months.

> It's what trunk is there for. If we think multiple mainwindow
> support is too unstable yet, we can still disable it completely before the
> beta. Right now we have it in trunk, and it is _completely_ useless!

But it doesn't do any harm as it is right now. The stuff you committed
however can easily be used to break your config.

> Toolbar editing does work here.

Indeed.

> Editing shortcuts in the second mainwindow seems to be problematic. That can
> be solved easily: We can just hide the "Configure Shortcuts" menu item in the
> second main window.

And then if I close the first mainwindow, I can't configure my shortcuts
anymore? IMHO this all needs far too much code on our side, we cannot
maintain such a beast. I'm seeing the kmdi-mistake being done again here.

You'll have to fix the shortcuts editor to be properly notified when the
xmlgui stuff changes and re-read the configuration. Eventually that might
only be possible with new API and thus have to wait for KDE 4.4, so
multi-mainwindows won't be usable before the KDevelop4.1 release.

As I said before, IMHO we rather have something thats doesn't work, but
also doesn't break anything in the 4.0 release. Then having something that
works 40-70% and additionally screws up your configuration.

And btw, the current behaviour of configuring the toolbars and shortcuts
for all mainwindows is questionable too. Why can't I have a special toolbar
for the mainwindow that I use for browsing documentation? (can't easily
make up a use-case for the shortcuts, so that part is probably ok).

Your analyst has you mixed up with another patient.  Don't believe a
thing he tells you.