KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 27 14:51:47 UTC 2009

On 27.07.09 16:40:13, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:

> > > I don't see a reason why all plugins need to be converted at once. Each
> > > added component that supports multiple mainwindows properly is a step
> > > forward, and there should be no issues due to conversion, so it's
> > > perfectly ok doing that in trunk.
> >
> > The problem I have with this is that we'll end up with some plugins
> > supporting multi-mainwindows and some don't - eventually even in the first
> > release if no-one feels like sitting down and converting them. I don't see
> > a good reason to delay the conversion of all.
>
> Apart from that, this way, new plugins or new code can directly use the multi-
> mainwindow compatible system. Actually that was my main motivation to start
> this multi-mainwindow stuff: I wanted to add some more toolbar stuff, and I
> don't want to re-do it once we change the API to properly support multiple
> mainwindows. I don't want to write 'wrong' code now that will cost me even
> more work in the future.

Well, thats your decision to make. Either add those toolbar things now and
re-do them later. Or fixup multi-mainwindow support first and then add
those toolbar things.

So far the second mainwindow at least doesn't screw up my configuration in
unexpected ways (as no actions are in the new mainwindow).

Really, I still question wether all this is doable with xmlgui or wether we
shouldn't drop either xmlgui or multi-mainwindow support.

Beauty and harmony are as necessary to you as the very breath of life.