Error while loading project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 27 11:17:03 UTC 2009

On 27.07.09 12:52:50, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009 12:09:46 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > >   We are using a system in amarok which takes care of this little problem
> > > for people, apparently found in kdelibs - cute little progress bar widget
> > > and everything... Haven't seen the code, but i understand it's fairly
> > > simple. Maybe that's an option here as well? :)
> >
> > I don't think so, amarok (AFAIK) has two binaries and hence its possible to
> > run kbuildsycoca4 from the first one, before starting the real. In
> > kdevelop4 there's only one binary and I think if you run kbuildsycoca4 from
> > its main() function that won't help with the current process.
>
>   Amarok only has one binary, but yes, the main logic sits in libamarok, which
> is loaded on the run. That's also why the splash screen shows up so quickly ;)
> But yes, the sycoca builder is run from the binary and not inside the
> library... not entirely sure how it's done, but it works really rather well :)

Well, this only helps if the user has already set KDEDIRS and also won't
help with finding new plugins. So its basically useless for us as those are
the two cases that people have problems with. IMHO running kbuildsycoca4
once after setting up KDEDIRS properly is much less of a problem then
getting KDEDIRS right in the first place.

Today is the last day of your life so far.