KDevelop UI states

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jul 24 09:30:23 UTC 2009

On 24.07.09 09:52:52, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 23 Juli 2009 17:48:39 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:

> > > Isn't that what sessions were originally about? I admit I haven't
> > > actively used sessions yet (or wouldn't use them if they changed those 5
> > > states at once), mainly because project-loading is still too heavy.
> >
> > Actually we haven't really talked about what should be part of the
> > session and what shouldn't. Currently I think its just the list of
> > loaded plugins, loaded projects and I think also the launch configs.
> >
> > So basically 2 sessions allow you to easily switch between two different
> > sets of projects. For example someone working part-time on kdevelop and
> > part-time on something totally unrelated - like a website. With sessions
> > he could easily switch between these two.
> >
> > So yeah, sessions are an easy way of switching everything, if we store
> > workingsets and area setups in the active session. I've refrained from
> > just moving everything from the global config to the session when I
> > introduced them as I've seen the downside of that in kate. We really
> > need to think which settings should be part of the session and which are
> > better stored globally.
>
> Not sure if the working-sets themselves should be stored within the sessions
> (That would need some practical testing), but at least the area configuration,
> so the 'active' working sets are changed when loading another session.
>
> I've played around with the sessions widget a bit, and I couldn't get it to do
> what I want. How can I load another session?

Just make it active and then close and re-open kdevelop. I'm not sure
right now wether I just delayed loading it directly in the running
instance or wether its not possible to do that.

> Once that works properly, it also should be moved out of that "Tools" menu,
> into a place where it's more findable, maybe the "Project" menu as it allows
> switching the loaded set of projects.

Its under the Settings menu and thats where it belongs, it changes
settings after all.

You never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems.