GSoc 2009

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:17:50 UTC 2009

Am Sunday 18 January 2009 12:33:58 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> - PHP (basic support is there)
> - JavaScript
> - CSS
> - HTML
> - Python (there is a plugin, not sure of the state)
> - Ruby (there is a plugin, not sure of the state)
> - Java
>
> This should increase the userbase of KDevelop considerably. And that otoh
> should get you more developers, right? ;-)
>
> And the first four languages are a requirement for Quanta.

The problem is that implementing a good language-support takes a lot more
effort than what can be done by a student during a SOC project. We already
had several language-support GSOC projects, and all of them failed, because
the student didn't finish what he started. Probably it just isn't satisfying
enough if you don't have a _real_ will to finish the thing.

Also we want to initially only really support C++ in the main application, so
we should focus on projects that make KDevelop better within that context.

Examples:
- Working-sets
- Distribution integration
- Making the debugger rock
- Documentation integration

Although some of these points would be a bit easy.

I think we should participate, and this time I could be a mentor.

Btw. we will only get more developers if KDevelop itself is a kick-ass C++
IDE. From that point on, we can start looking at additional stuff like
additional languages and Quanta.

Greetings, David