GSoc 2009

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Jan 18 11:33:58 UTC 2009

I'm not a core developer, yet I hope you don't mind that I rise my opinion:

Am Sunday 18 January 2009 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Google has announced that there will again be a GSoC (on the mentors list),
> so we should think about what we want to do this year. Leslie said that it
> might be a bit smaller than last year, but instead we get a lot more time
> in advance to find good students...
>
> So the questions are:
> - do we want to participate?

You should. KDevelop shows much promise yet there is much left to be done. So
why shouldn't you participate?

> - do we want to provide some ideas, or leave it up to students to come up
>   with good ideas

If you are looking for ideas, I got one which has enough potential to give
many students something to do.

Support more languages. This is actually many points since there are many
popular languages which KDevelop should support. The minimum would be proper
duchain support, so we get autocompletion, inline syntax-checking / error
reporting and the other neat things which make KDevelop great. The languages
which would be most important in my eyes in an unordered list:

- PHP (basic support is there)
- JavaScript
- CSS
- HTML
- Python (there is a plugin, not sure of the state)
- Ruby (there is a plugin, not sure of the state)
- Java

This should increase the userbase of KDevelop considerably. And that otoh
should get you more developers, right? ;-)

And the first four languages are a requirement for Quanta.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de