AppWizard patch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jan 12 19:08:56 UTC 2009

On 12.01.09 12:58:01, Kris Wong wrote:
> The attached patch makes a few changes to the app wizard.  Currently, if
> the user changes the value in the location field to a directory that
> exists, they can't create a new project.  This is because the dialog no
> longer appends the project name on to the location.  This is not correct.
> I understand the motivation for not appending the project name if the
> user edits the location, but we cannot know whether they are trying to
> specify the parent directory or the project directory itself.  This is
> why every IDE I've ever used always appends the project name (I've never
> run across a situation when I did not want it appended).

Apart from "obey the users wishes", there's also been the problem of using
strings as project name that are not possible to use as filenames. That
second reason however is gone now, so I guess this is not needed anymore.

Also makes the logic in the code a lot simpler I think.

> I changed this functionality.  If we really want to give the user the
> option, a checkbox would be necessary to handle it correctly.

I still think it might be useful, however lets wait for the first feature
request for that before its implemented (as this is a rather simple
change).

> It also allows the user to create a new project in a directory that
> already exists and contains files.  I do this frequently for test
> applications.  It will display a question prompt that warns the user and
> asks if they would like to proceed.

As I said on IRC, this is a no-brainer, just nobody had the time/felt like
doing it :)

Didn't look at the patch itself, but have no objections.

Don't look now, but there is a multi-legged creature on your shoulder.