Which Plugins to keep

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:42:32 UTC 2009

Am Thursday 08 January 2009 00:44:30 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Hi,
>
> with the first beta approaching slowly I'd like to sort out which plugins
> we ship with kdevplatform, which with kdevelop and which should move out of
> those two modules (either into playground, or if there are enough into a
> new extragear module).
>
> The plugins I think should move are:
>
> duchainviewer - this might be better in extragear than playground as it is
> supposed to be useful for developing new language support plugins. But its
> been more or less unmaintained and apparently has quite some bugs.
>
> bazaar - extragear material too, especially if the idea of using qbzr works
> out
>
> mercurial - very basic work AFAIK, so playground
>
> documentation - just a copy of kdev3 code, needs port etc. so playground
>
> teamwork - extragear or playground, I'm undecided. Last time I tried it
> kinda worked, but the ui sucks and its hard to use. No work since about a
> year I think
I cannot get it to compile atm. In general, I will give it some
workover(removing some funcionality, only keeping the really useful,
integrating it with the new session-support, moving some configuration into a
kcm). However that's probably not going to happen before KDevelop 4.1, so
move it somewhere else for now.

In general my opinion is: We should only ship stuff that is useful, and that
we can make sure works right.

Duchainviewer should be moved by side. I actually have to admit that it
_never_ helped me developing C++ support, it just doesn't show enough
information. The only useful thing is that you can double-click an item to
get a graph-representation of the duchain, but that could be moved somewhere
else.

qtdesigner is a critical case, because some might consider it a must-have for
a qt-enabled IDE.

Greetings, David