Which Plugins to keep

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 7 23:44:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

with the first beta approaching slowly I'd like to sort out which plugins
we ship with kdevplatform, which with kdevelop and which should move out of
those two modules (either into playground, or if there are enough into a
new extragear module).

The plugins I think should move are:

duchainviewer - this might be better in extragear than playground as it is
supposed to be useful for developing new language support plugins. But its
been more or less unmaintained and apparently has quite some bugs.

bazaar - extragear material too, especially if the idea of using qbzr works
out

mercurial - very basic work AFAIK, so playground

documentation - just a copy of kdev3 code, needs port etc. so playground

teamwork - extragear or playground, I'm undecided. Last time I tried it
kinda worked, but the ui sucks and its hard to use. No work since about a
year I think

automake - not built, hasn't been worked on in two years, definetly
playground

qtdesigner - this is a tough one, not sure it needs to be moved. Its
basically working, but needs a lot of details worked out (toolviews,
separate area, better integration into menu/toolbar)

The last thing is appwizard. I'd like to move it from kdevelop into
kdevplatform as I don't really see a need for it to be kdevelop specific
(in fact it doesn't have anything kdevelop specific in it right now -
AFAIK).

Please note that all these moves are not final, if any of the plugins gets
the needed attention/work then we can always move them back into the trunk
modules. The reason to move them out now is simply so the beta release
(which will hopefully get even more attention than the alpha's) doesn't
look too crowded and the impact of bugs/crashes from (mostly) unmaintained
plugins are reduced.

Opinions? Anybody has some other plugin that he'd like to move away?

You worry too much about your job.  Stop it.  You are not paid enough to worry.