Start page for KDevelop 4

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Tue Feb 17 21:29:13 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:17:23 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.02.09 20:39:12, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> > http://leinir.dk/temp/kdev-startpage/index.html
> > The first thing a user sees upon starting the program. Tells the user a
> > bit about the UI and such. i'm pondering if it might not be an idea to
> > put the Possibilities box at the top, but thought i'd run it past you
> > guys before doing anything with it (it's fairly straight forward, maybe
> > fifteen minutes' worth of work, but still ;) ).
> >
> > http://leinir.dk/temp/kdev-startpage/index2.html
> > If the user clicks on don't allow news, this is the view he'll get on the
> > subsequent startups. Items moved around a bit, more central, and news
> > pane hidden away.
> >
> > http://leinir.dk/temp/kdev-startpage/index3.html
> > If the user clicks on allow news, this is the view he'll get... This is
> > basically what you had before :)
>
> I like this, except for the overlay-boxes in the first page. Explaining
> what each box shows is ok, but it should simply be embedded in that
> area, instead of trying to be on top of the area. IMHO.

  The reason is they're basically non-modal dialogues... And if you have a
screen the size of mine, having it inline looks really awkward (especially the
news one is in a huge space on my monitor) :)

> > * Links are underlined. As David Nolden pointed out, some controls
> > that're buttons didn't quite look it. As buttons would look desperately
> > out of place, i thought i'd make them look like links in stead :)
>
> Makes more sense, yes. One minor usability gripe (though I'm not sure
> thats possible with html+css+js): The options-dropdown doesn't hide when
> I click "anywhere", only if I click on the options link again.

  Yeah, that's entirely possible, it's just more work than i wanted to put
into it at this time (these options boxes are likely better done in code than
in html, they are heavily interactive after all).

> >   A final idea, actually brought on by Kris' comment on not liking the
> > news pane so much. The Possibilities pane could very well contain a link
> > to the help system and the website, where such information could be
> > managed in a pleasant way. An entry in the list such as "New to
> > programming?" with a link to the KDevelop Tutorials page, or better yet,
> > a page on kdevelop.org with a collection of appropriate links (to the
> > tutorials page, to techbase's kde coding section and so on)
>
> +1

  Cheers! :) i'll add the button to the next revision :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-