Start page for KDevelop 4

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Tue Feb 17 21:25:13 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:07:27 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > Then we have the same definition of session, last-opened-projects are
> > > already stored in the session, files is a bit more complex
> > > because that
> > > also means the complete mainwindow layout (or rather complete area(s)
> > > configuration).
> >
> > Ahh. A configuration option is not very useful in this scenario. I don't
> > always want to do one thing or the other. Although, if this is the only
> > option I would have, I'd definitely prefer to have it not restore the
> > session. This is actually the only thing I use the creator start page
> > for.
>
> Hmm, having a second thought, maybe the following would work:
>
> - if the start page is shown, no session is auto-loaded, instead you get
>   to choose
> - if one disables the start page the last-used session is always loaded
>   on start
>
> This obviously conflicts with the quick-open idea, because then re-loading
> projects while viewing the start-page is not happening.
>
> Andreas

  i would agree that this would be the way to go about doing it. In addition,
you could present this to the user in exactly that way. So rather than having
a check-box with "Show start page", which would be rather well... not
particularly informative. In stead you could have two radio buttons with a
more informative description of the effect of the choices:

-- Session management: --------------------------------------

 0 Show start page
   Choose this to show a start page when launching KDevelop, allowing you to
   pick up any previous session, perform certain actions and optionally show
   informative news feeds

 O Reload previous session on startup
   Choosing this will cause KDevelop to always load the previous session on
   startup, meaning you can pick up your work where you left off immediately
   upon startup

  ...for example ;) It will take up more space, but remove any ambiguity
implied by the checkbox possibility :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/