Start page for KDevelop 4

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 17 20:07:51 UTC 2009

On 17.02.09 08:05:28, Kris Wong wrote:
> > 2. "Restore work on your previous session" IMO we should automatically open
> > the previous session right away, if there is one. :-) Else, it should have
> > some boundary so it's distinguishable as a button
>
> I don't like the idea of automatically restoring the previous session; I like
> the option.

Sorry, not going to happen. In Munich last year we decided that _if_ we
introduce session support it should _only_ be visible when you actually
care about it. That means the last session will always be restored by
default, I might consider adding an option to disable that behaviour
though.

Also this welcome page is fine on first startup and for some users maybe
on each startup when we don't re-open files, but I personally need an
off switch for it :)

> > 4. We should find a place for a global quickopen somewhere. So you could just
> > type a class-, function- or file-name in there, and KDevelop would directly
> > open the corresponding file and project.
>
> This could poententially be confusing at first, since the user doesn't have any
> projects open, but I don't dislike the idea.

I'm not sure of the usefulness. If the user starts kdev the first time
there's nothing we have in the list, if he chooses to have the page
available on each start, we'd have to re-open projects in the background
and until thats done the list is also empty.

You have no real enemies.