Start page for KDevelop 4

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Tue Feb 17 13:05:28 UTC 2009

> I Like the design in general. But here some ideas how it could be improved:

I like the idea of a start page. I've used creator and I find their's pretty
useful.

> 1. Green is the typocal KDevelop color, so I think the background should be
> green-ish instead of blue-ish(Just an idea, I don't know how it would look. :)

+1

> 2. "Restore work on your previous session" IMO we should automatically open
> the previous session right away, if there is one. :-) Else, it should have
> some boundary so it's distinguishable as a button

I don't like the idea of automatically restoring the previous session; I like
the option. Sometimes I want to start a new project and don't want to open
what I was working on before. I also like the idea of a recently opened projects
list.

> 3. The news, while a good idea, overload it a bit. A newbie starting KDevelop
> for the first time should only see entries that are really useful for him in
> that moment, like those in "possibilities", and a "Getting Started" link or
> something like that. The news could be in a separate tab.

I personally don't like the news. In fact, I don't like any dynamic content of
this nature. A few links to help pages and such for noobs would be sufficient.

> 4. We should find a place for a global quickopen somewhere. So you could just
> type a class-, function- or file-name in there, and KDevelop would directly
> open the corresponding file and project.

This could poententially be confusing at first, since the user doesn't have any
projects open, but I don't dislike the idea.

My 2 cents.

Kris Wong