Start page for KDevelop 4

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Feb 16 21:29:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk>wrote:

> Hello there,
>
>  As promised a while back, i have finally gotten around to putting together
> proposal for a start page type thing for KDevelop 4. After linking to it in
> channel, apaku requested that i throw it at the mercy of the mailing list,
> and
> as such:
>
>  http://leinir.dk/temp/kdev-startpage/
>
>  A few things to note:
>
> * This is HTML designed for procedural generation (very simple layout, all
>  graphics created using KHTML-friendly CSS)
> * A few features are implied in this incarnation, and especially the Coming
>  from another IDE bit was more of an idea for a later addition than
> something
>  i suggest should be in 4.0
> * It might be advantageous to disable all the news feeds by default, to
> avoid
>  the wrath of the tinfoil-hat crowd. An information overlay can very simply
>  be added to tell people that enabling them will allow them to get all
> sorts
>  of interesting news and such
> * One of the feeds is KDevelop's Developers' Blogs, which would imply the
>  creation of a Planet KDevelop.
> * It may be interesting to, once it is implemented, grab a hold of the
> Oxygen
>  team and have them look at it... i am not a graphics artist, so it is
>  somewhat reminiscent of the Reinhardt icon set, which sticks out like a
>  sore thumb against something like Oxygen ;)
>
> --
> ..Dan // Leinir..
> http://leinir.dk/
>
>                          Co-
>                            existence
>                          or no
>                            existence
>
>                          - Piet Hein

Hi, I fully agree that we need a start page.

I differ on the contents i would put there. I don't think it should be HTML,
just information being shown to the user.

What about:
* Recently opened projects
* Place to click for a new project (that opens the new project wizard)
* Help (opens the handbook)
* Community (it may have different buttons that direct the user to different
kdevelop.org sections, maybe including a developers planet).

My 2 cents
Aleix