Start page for KDevelop 4

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Feb 16 21:25:55 UTC 2009

On 16.02.09 22:03:32, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
>   As promised a while back, i have finally gotten around to putting together a
> proposal for a start page type thing for KDevelop 4. After linking to it in
> channel, apaku requested that i throw it at the mercy of the mailing list, and
> as such:

First of all: Thanks a lot.

>   http://leinir.dk/temp/kdev-startpage/
>
>   A few things to note:
>
> * This is HTML designed for procedural generation (very simple layout, all
>   graphics created using KHTML-friendly CSS)

So we need to figure out wether we can use KHTML to render such a page
and notify us when a link is clicked on, or render it via code.

> * A few features are implied in this incarnation, and especially the Coming
>   from another IDE bit was more of an idea for a later addition than something
>   i suggest should be in 4.0
> * It might be advantageous to disable all the news feeds by default, to avoid
>   the wrath of the tinfoil-hat crowd. An information overlay can very simply
>   be added to tell people that enabling them will allow them to get all sorts
>   of interesting news and such

Or simply make it expandable and hide it by default (might need code
instead of html for the whole page). I do agree that in the current form
its a tad bit overloaded, but with just the sessions and 2-3 entries
like open project/new project it would probably make a really good entry
for newbies.

> * One of the feeds is KDevelop's Developers' Blogs, which would imply the
>   creation of a Planet KDevelop.

Or just asking Amilcar to create an agregate on kdevelop.org :)

> * It may be interesting to, once it is implemented, grab a hold of the Oxygen
>   team and have them look at it... i am not a graphics artist, so it is
>   somewhat reminiscent of the Reinhardt icon set, which sticks out like a
>   sore thumb against something like Oxygen ;)

Yes, that is definetly something we should do. It might also help in
getting oxygen people more interested in kdevelop and providing some of
the icons we've asked for. At least to me such a starting-page looks
really sexy.

You will lose your present job and have to become a door to door mayonnaise
salesman.