Debbuger

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Tue Feb 3 17:06:20 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 19:42:26 David nolden wrote:
> Am Dienstag 03 Februar 2009 07:48:48 schrieb Vladimir Prus:
> > Oh, competition! That's always good :-)
> >
> > - Volodya
>
> Would have been more useful if you actually said something about Hamish's
> points. ;-)
>
> What do you think about the thing? I think Hamish's points are valid. We're
> coming closer to a release, and we do need a working debugger. If we had one
> that was working a year ago, then it's worth considering going back there.

Well, it is worth pointing out that in HEAD, to the best of my knowledge we
have working thread/frame view, breakpoint widget, watches, and variable tooltips.
We don't have display of local variables, and we don't have breakpoint markers in
source. So, the most straightforward way to get a working debugger is to fix the
missing thing. Branching from a Qt4 port of KDevelop 3 debugger which is known not
to be very great seems like an equally complex way to get something worse.

> Unfortunately it seems like you're not finding any time for this thing.
>
> But even if we bring the debugger back into a usable state, we will still have
> a maintainership problem. Imo we should seriously consider looking into the
> direction of Qt Creator, and eventually trying to share code with them. By
> code sharing I mean not just forking it once, but trying to maintain it across
> both projects.

I have no comment on this idea, given that I could never get Qt Creator to even build
a project ;-)

- Volodya