Debbuger

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 06:36:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've decided to try to make the debugger work for kdevelop 4.0, it would be a
shame if we couldn't provide a working debugger as it's one of the strengths
of having an IDE.

In analysing what happened to the debugger after my initial port from kdevelop
3.x, it seems that the major problem was that I had ported it to a pure
model/view implementation, however Volodya preferred it to be based on some
base classes to decrease complexity.  This is fine, but it seems the change
was never completed - some parts were rewritten, and some were just commented
out.  This left us with a debugger unable to display variables, which is not
very useful.  I feel it is too much effort for me to fix all of the problems
with head, especially because I don't understand why some parts were seemingly
rewritten.

I've started a branch which aims to provide something that is working, and we
can discuss whether we go back to HEAD if/when someone steps up to fix the
problems with head.  I'd even be open to helping with a port away from a pure
model/view implementation, as long as it is planned well and doesn't involve
wholesale re-writing of code (without a good reason).

The major deficiencies of this branch (if it gets to a working state) will
probably be:
1) use of the old breakpoint widget
2) variable tooltip feature missing
which could also be ported over, if the branch is to continue on...

The branch is in playground.

Cheers,
Hamish.