on documentation

David nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sun Feb 1 14:26:09 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 01 Februar 2009 15:12:12 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this widget would be used, but isn't this
> simply embedded "standalone" into a toolview?
For example it might be put into a tab-widget at a specific position.

> Or are you expecting to have multiple widgets from different doc plugins
> visible at the same time? How are you imagining that to work?
For example tabs within the code-browser, but I don't really think about such
stuff atm.

> Even if the latter I don't see why the function should have the parent
> member,
Exactly ;-)

> it makes it a lot easier for doc-plugin writers to use the right
> parent for whatever widget they want to return. They don't need to think
> about wether they should use "0" or mainwindow or something else, they
> can simply take what is given to them via the API.
It's just a redundant parameter, making the API less pretty. The user will
probably anyway call QTabWidget::addTab, QLayout::addWidget or whatever on the
result. Just defining that the caller owns the widget would be enough.

I think redundancy is not pretty. Btw. DUContext::createNavigationWidget also
doesn't take or need a parent paremeter(Talking about consistency).

But, I don't really care about this, it was just a sidenote.

Greetings, David