Session Config Dialog broken

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 19 19:52:47 UTC 2009

On 19.12.09 17:04:08, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday 19 December 2009 16:40:28 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > seems like one of the recent changes to sessions (or the pure fact that
> > sessions are auto-generated) has broken the session dialog. I now have
> > "default" (which was my default session so far), "sdsafsd" (just a
> > random one) and "" which is the currently used session.
> >
> > So there are two problems:
> >
> > a) the "" session name, its completely unuseful in the dialog. Probably
> > should be generated from the open projects or something
>
> That's because the session names are generated by the open projects afaics. No
> open project -> empty session name.

Well, thats rather bad. A session should _never_ have an empty name. How
do you distinguish two sessions (created accidentally) that have no
name, but one is valuable to you?

> Also imo it's totally unintuitive that, to change the name, I have to select
> an item and press F2 (or even double click). A "rename" button would make
> sense imo. F2 + Double click renaming should be additional sugar, not
> required. Esp. considering that DEL does not remove an entry...

I don't know. A context-menu rename probably, but an extra button? This
kind of thing works everywhere in modern GUI's, in fact I always forget
its not available in some old-style tools I use and curse them for not
supporting it.

DEL support should probably be added though.

> > b) the fact that my former default session has been replaced by an
> > auto-generated one.
>
> Additionally, I can't see a way to start a new session from the CLI, which is
> also kinda bad.
>
> And to top that: Why is "new session" closing my old one?

Because thats what was thought to make most sense (there's been some
discussion about that)

Time to be aggressive.  Go after a tattooed Virgo.