On Memory consumption of KDevelop-PG

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:56:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

Imho Memory usage during parsing isn't our main issue, especially as
it get's freed correctly.

The main performance issue for Php is code completion, that defenitely
needs improvements.
It takes 3-5 secs to show up the completion list for me. Imho we
should speed up that first - I don't
care that much about parsing performance - it's done in background anyway.

> - finally, maybe the hardest part: Can't we compress the AST _while building
> it_, i.e. can we somehow drop all these useless logicalAExpression ->
> logicalBExpression -> logicalCExpression -> ... ? Imo we should at least make
> that one node and work with members (i.e.: logicalExpression->type ==
> LOGICAL_XOR) and than a ptr to either a "real" (not-logical) expression or to
> a nested logical expression... Maybe that could save us some more MB...
This part of the parser really sucks. It uses a lot of memory and the
visitor needs
to visit a lot of nodes to parse an expression.
However I have no idea how it could be improved.

Niko