extragear/sdk/kdevplatform/shell

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:58:14 UTC 2009

Am Montag 07 Dezember 2009 09:54:45 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 07.12.09 01:44:59, David Nolden wrote:
> > SVN commit 1059604 by zwabel:
> >
> > Show the set of contained projects with each session in the menu, so you
> > know what session you might want to start
>
> I don't think I like this. This makes the menu entry overly long very
> easily. Even with just 4 projects its too long already IMHO.
Imo the length here doesn't matter. Users have big screens, why not use them?

This is in line with the results of the discussions we had about session
management. Generally, we need this if we want session-management to work
without forcing the user to explicitly "manage" his sessions by giving them
names. IMO by default sessions should be completely name-less, like working
sets. If we make it right, the user will automatically use session, without
having the feeling of being forced to an exaggerated effort.

Compare it to file working sets: Nobody would use those if you would have to
name them manually, and if you couldn't easily see what files they contain.

> > +QString Session::description() const
> > +{
> > +    QString ret = name();
> > +
> > +    KUrl::List openProjects = d->config->group( "General Options"
> > ).readEntry( "Open Projects", QStringList() ); +
> > +    if(!openProjects.isEmpty()) {
> > +        if(!ret.isEmpty())
> > +            ret += ":  ";
> > +
> > +        QStringList projectNames;
> > +
> > +        foreach(KUrl url, openProjects)
> > +        {
> > +            QString projectName = url.fileName();
> > +            if(projectName.endsWith(".kdev4"))
> > +                projectName = projectName.left(projectName.size()-6);
> > +            projectNames << projectName;
> > +        }
> > +
> > +        ret += projectNames.join(", ");
> > +    }
> > +
> > +    return ret;
> > +}
>
> This is wrong, the project name is not the .kdev4 filename minus the
> suffix. There's a separate project name entry in the config.

Yeah I feared that. But actually, why is this the case? Wouldn't it be easier
if we would just define "filename = project-name"?

Greetings, David