proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:09:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 08:56, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 04.12.09 01:27:05, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 December 2009 22:57:15 Sam S. wrote:
>> > I did upload one mockup variation without the flags, showing instead a
>> > custom combobox/dropdown-menu-like thing which looks less intrusive
>> > than a normal combobox and also shows a picture of the flag
>> > corresponding to the currently used languge - however, to implement
>> > such a menu, one would have to use Java Script, and I don't know how
>> > thrilled Amilcar would be to require Java Script as a dependency for
>> > using that website...
>> Not thrilled at all, I hate javascript. Please avoid it at all cost
>
> Thats too bad. I've never really done anything large with JS on
> websites, but I did recently look at some real-world JS code in Firefox
> extensions (and also wrote my own) and from my perspective its the same
> as any other language. You sure can do pure evil on websites with JS,
> but just as well you can do really useful things. But thats the same
> with any other General Purpose language, the only difference is the
> OO-model in JS is quite different to many other languages and needs some
> getting-used-to.
I'm not sure if Amilcar has a problem with JavaScript as a language (which is
imho pretty cool) or the fact that JS heavy websites have problems
with accessibility,
browser compatibility, only work with JS turned on etc.
My opinion on this: Use JS to improve user experience, but provide a working
HTML-only fallback (that might be not as pretty).
In the case of the language selector it could be a pretty JS dropdown,
and a link
to a langauge-selection-page for non-JS users.

Niko