Rationale for double click and project view and can we bring back following the global setting?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 15 00:01:09 UTC 2009

On 14.08.09 23:11:11, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Freitag 14 August 2009 22:01:17 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > Thanks, I think I need to use that app more often, it does have some
> > nice UI ideas. Thats constructive discussion. Indeed that could work, do
> > you know wether this is in kdelibs? If not it should be.
> >
> > > - If the item is not part of the build-set, blend in a 'plus' sign, and
> > > show a tooltip "Add top buildset"
> > > - If the item already is in the build set, blend in the 'minus' sign, and
> > > show tooltip "Remove from buildset".
> > >
> > > Then we can add a permanent highlighting of items that are part of the
> > > buildset, and have a well-working selection interface if we define
> > > 'build-set = selection'.
> >
> > Hmm, I think the idea is good, but I'd like to keep the buildset list
> > still. Two reasons:
> >
> > a) It allows to order items
> > b) It allows to more easily see all items in the buildset
> >
> > Also the selection is "published" to the complete app, hence it can also
> > be used for other things.
> Yes it's good to have the list that comprehends the selection and allows
> ordering the items. But I think the buildset and selection-mechanism in
> general should be merged, so we have a really consisten UI.
>
> There shouldn't be more then one selection at a time, and the build-set is a
> kind of selection.
>
> With this, we can easily pick default run-targets, debug-targets, build-
> targets, etc., and it would always be clear what's happening.

Makes sense yes.

> For inspiration I've looked at the QTest tree view again, and actually I like
> that UI as well.

The problem there is that the icon to toggle selection is on the "right"
a relatively bad place as you'll have to scroll horizontally very soon
(I've had to scroll on second level already here). Thats why I like the
way dolphin overlays it on top of the icon better.

> I wonder how reusable that code is. We could use it together
> with the dolphin-like selection, and additionally blend in a 'build' button
> and some other very common actions at the right.

That on the other hand might be not so bad an idea. i.e. do the
selection on the left so its easy to use and additionally have
build+run+maybe debug on the right.

Hmm, does someone feel like creating a wishlist report for this,
including this mail and the mail from Peter, so we can tag it 1.0.0 for
kdevplatform/project. I'll be dealing with projectparserjob this weekend
and won't have time to start on this.

Today is what happened to yesterday.