Rationale for double click and project view and can we bring back following the global setting?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Aug 14 19:07:21 UTC 2009

On 14.08.09 12:43:45, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 09:36:58 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > It's recent enough for those of us who don't update every day or even
> > > every week. :P
> > >
> > > Don't assume that everybody updates every day.
> >
> > Thats fine if you use releases, not if you use trunk from svn. In that case
> > I expect people to have the latest checkout built before sending any
> > query/question.
>
> So what? Now you're going to discriminate against me because I took four weeks
> to update to current trunk and am just now asking about something I saw in my
> latest update?

Apparently you misunderstood what I tried to say. And obviously you even
did what I expect from svn users, namely that they svn up before
starting discussions on current behaviour of the app.

> > > You have a Ctrl key right?
> >
> > I hope you're not serious, you're imposing an extra keystroke on me just
> > because I want to select a different folder for building?
>
> We don't open folders in the kdevelop editor, so no, I'm not imposing an extra
> keystroke on you for folders. IMO, it makes sense to impose that extra
> keystroke for files though, since i'm wouldn't expect those to be added to a
> buildset very often.

Even folders are a problem, because they're automatically opened with
single-click activation. So every time I assemble 3-4 items for the
buildset to work on in the next 2 hours I have to click 6-8 times or
scroll the hell out of that treeview.

Not to mention that we had about double the amount of code in that
treeview than we have now, just to make sure that single-click works on
files, but selecting folders is not annoying.

> > > Just use that. Kopete uses a treeview for it's contact list and that
> > > works just fine for me and so far, we haven't gotten a lot of complaints
> > > from other people.
> >
> > We did, hence it was changed.
>
> Well, now you have a request to change it back. Perhaps I should file it on
> bugs.kde.org so you can just close it as WONTFIX since you seem unwilling or
> unable to give it any serious consideration?

As I said before, we had this for 1.5 years or so in kdevelop4 and it
didn't work. As far as I know most people that used it on a regular
basis where annoyed by the treeview using single-selection.

It works in dolphin because dolphin has plenty of space for extra
buttons around the items and also plenty of space to provide nice
drag-a-selection. We don't.

If you want single-click in the project view, then provide a maintained
widget that does it, without the drawbacks that a treeview +
(checkbox|extra-buttons) has.

And btw, I agree that its not good to be inconsistent with this in the
same app, so I suggest we change all other views to double-click as
well. We might be able to offer a setting to change that at some point
too.

You never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems.