toolbar icons

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Aug 9 17:44:27 UTC 2009

On 09.08.09 19:00:35, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 09.08.09 17:33:33, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 17:05:52 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > Also I'd like to add that we can actually reduce the text of most
> > > actions in the toolbar to a single word. Which means we'll have more
> > > space without removing the text and without having the more-verbose text
> > > in the menu, simply set iconText on the action. That will then be used
> > > in toolbars. There's for example no reason for the word "Launch" in the
> > > run/debug actions. Just "Run" and "Debug" would be enough and then we
> > > can instantly fit 1-2 more icons or have more space for the lineedits.
> > Yes that might at least reduce the horizontal-space problem with text-under-
> > icons.
>
> Ok, I'll try to post a new screenshot with that.

See:
http://www.apaku.de/vardata/kdev4_initial_icontext_noarea.png

I've reduced the text to be not much larger than the icons and removed
the area-toolbuttons. Then resized the whole thing to show the 5
most-used actions and have more space on the context browser.

I think at this point there's no way to get out more space except by
removing actions or as you suggest removing the text.

Hmmm, would it be an option to simply move the main toolbar to the left
side? I'm not sure at the moment wether it looks just ugly or wether I'd
need to get acustomed to it. But it could solve this discussion, as
usually horizontal space is often easier available than vertical. Of
course this again gets a problem if you're opening one of the left
toolviews...

Screenshot:
http://www.apaku.de/vardata/kdev4_initial_icontext_noarea_toolbarleft.png

Thoughts?

You will live a long, healthy, happy life and make bags of money.