toolbar icons

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sun Aug 9 14:03:56 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 15:42:38 schrieben Sie:
> To be fair, I don't really like yours either. I think having 2 lineedits is
> disappointing.
>
> In your proposal, if we didn't have 2 lineedits (or with both being shown)
The quickopen line-edit should become smaller, maybe so that it merely shows
the "Quick Open...", then it wouldn't take more space than a icon+text at
right.

I think merging the lines is not a good thing, as both lines do different
things. The one at right is actually more a dropdown-list than a line-edit,
because it always shows the function you're in, and can be used to select
other functions in the file.

Merging them in some way to get both behaviors at once would mean creating a
clumsy UI, by combining things that do not necessarily belong together.

> we would even have place for the text. So the text is not the main problem.
> If it's at right at least. If it's under the icon it's just too bad :P.
With "Text alongside icons", only 2 icons fit into the space on this setup.

> I usually disable text on toolbar, but I consider that this is personal and
> I don't want to pollute other's KDevelop with my choices.
Well, we try to create an IDE that fits the needs of most out of the box, and
since we are also the target audience, our personal opinion on this does play
a role.

Greetings, David