Kompare support for patch and difference reviewing

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 10:21:05 UTC 2009

On 06.08.09 08:43:48, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 05 August 2009 22:03:13 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > By annotated in this case, I mean having highlighted all changed hunks in
> > > the code, and allowing to jump between, edit them directly, and reverting
> > > them with a click. Essentially the same thing you can do with kompare,
> > > except that we would have code-highlighting, -editing, and all the bling.
> >
> > Ideally yes, but that'll take some serious amount of work and time.
> >
> > > Most of the required code is already in the teamwork plugin,
> >
> > Yeah, unmaintained for more than a year now, no thanks I think.
> > Especially since that would mean having to extract it from there, check
> > wether the difflib still is up-to-date, having a conflicting library
> > with kompare etc... I'd rather have kompare extended to allow in-place
> > editing if you ask me. That one is at least properly maintained and we
> > don't have to do all the dirty work ourselves.
> I've already extracted it here locally, and I'm building a toolview out of it
> that can take an arbitrary _applied_ patch, highlight it in the code, and
> allow jumping between it.
>
> It should be ready in a few days in a nice state if I find time for it again.
> It isn't much work.

Cool.

> Given all the problems you guys are facing with embedding kompare, the
> question arises, why do we even want to _embed_ kompare? Wouldn't it be
> perfectly ok to by default highlight the changed code directly within kate
> text editors using that toolview, and having a button in that toolview to
> launch kompare in a separate window on the diff?

As I said, one reason is maintenance burden. We're already now have far
more code than the active developers can maintain properly (including
adding features and doing bug-squashing).

However your idea above sounds rather useful, so I'm waiting for the code
to try it out and then judge afterwards :)

You get along very well with everyone except animals and people.