Kompare support for patch and difference reviewing

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Aug 5 22:23:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 05.08.09 22:56:20, Aleix Pol wrote:

> > > files
> URL
> get
> > >
> > > Hmm, I just remembered that just the URL won't be enough, you'll also
> > > have to have a proper mimetype to register your custom document with
> the
> > > documentcontroller. So you'll have to make sure to supply either a
> > > custom mimetype, or you could use the diff-mimetype but will have to
> > > make sure that KMimeType will identify the given url as that
> mimetype...
> >
> > If the URL is the file's, we will have the .cpp mimetype (in the case of
> > .cpp files). I should add something after or smth like that, isn't it?
>
> Hmm, indeed. I'm actually not sure if we can do this at all this easily
> as KMimeType won't know about custom mimetypes. So I guess we'd have to
> add our own custom mimetype for kdelibs/mimetypes/kde.xml, I'm just not
> sure how the general position with core-devs is about adding a mimetype
> there that won't ever get into the fdo shared-mime-info...

when I had to add the CMake mimetype they were very cautious about that. KDE
and FDo share the mime database so they won't accept that (which I
understand because it's not even a file, just a workaround for a missing
feature of ours).

> I suggest to ask kde-core-devel how we should go about this, that is how
> a url/filename could be created that matches our home-grown mimetype
> such that our documentcontroller will know what kind of document to
> create.

> If thats not possible, we'll have to extend our documentcontroller to
> allow more direct creation of document instances...

I wonder if that would be possible, in the document controller we have stuff
like:
d->documents.contains(url)

that would make it impossible to have the diff+text document opened, for
example.

> Andreas
>
> --
> You have been selected for a secret mission.

Aleix