Kompare support for patch and difference reviewing

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Aug 5 20:03:13 UTC 2009

On 05.08.09 21:48:18, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 05 August 2009 21:11:26 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:

> > > And one more thing: Ideally each file that is part of the diff could be a
> > > separate document tab,
> >
> > You're talking about a recursive diff on a directory here, right?
> Any diff basically consists of "files" and "hunks" (Changed positions in that
> file).
>
> Kompare provides a list of changed files, but for consistency, I think the
> files should better be normal document tabs. Then, we could let the user
> switch between "kompare" view, and normal "edit patch" view, see below.
>
> > > Then we could optionally allow the user to edit the documents directly
> > > in an annotated text document.
> >
> > Not sure how useful the annotation stuff really is for this, its main
> > purpose is really to show a _little_ informational border and provide
> > some more info when hovering.
> By annotated in this case, I mean having highlighted all changed hunks in the
> code, and allowing to jump between, edit them directly, and reverting them
> with a click. Essentially the same thing you can do with kompare, except that
> we would have code-highlighting, -editing, and all the bling.

Ideally yes, but that'll take some serious amount of work and time.

> Most of the required code is already in the teamwork plugin,

Yeah, unmaintained for more than a year now, no thanks I think.
Especially since that would mean having to extract it from there, check
wether the difflib still is up-to-date, having a conflicting library
with kompare etc... I'd rather have kompare extended to allow in-place
editing if you ask me. That one is at least properly maintained and we
don't have to do all the dirty work ourselves.

You will inherit millions of dollars.