Kompare support for patch and difference reviewing

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Wed Aug 5 19:48:18 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch 05 August 2009 21:11:26 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 05.08.09 10:44:17, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 05 August 2009 08:28:36 schrieb Niko Sams:
> > > The history widget could be shown in a dock view, then a diff as
> > > document would be perfect.
> > >
> > > I think we should avoid dialogs whenever possible.
> >
> > And one more thing: Ideally each file that is part of the diff could be a
> > separate document tab,
>
> You're talking about a recursive diff on a directory here, right?
Any diff basically consists of "files" and "hunks" (Changed positions in that
file).

Kompare provides a list of changed files, but for consistency, I think the
files should better be normal document tabs. Then, we could let the user
switch between "kompare" view, and normal "edit patch" view, see below.

> > Then we could optionally allow the user to edit the documents directly
> > in an annotated text document.
>
> Not sure how useful the annotation stuff really is for this, its main
> purpose is really to show a _little_ informational border and provide
> some more info when hovering.
By annotated in this case, I mean having highlighted all changed hunks in the
code, and allowing to jump between, edit them directly, and reverting them
with a click. Essentially the same thing you can do with kompare, except that
we would have code-highlighting, -editing, and all the bling.

Most of the required code is already in the teamwork plugin, so this would
basically mainly just mean copying that part over, and adding some generic
well-integrated toolview to manage the patch, that could be fed by the VCS
support.

Greetings, David