Improving generic KPart support in KDevelop (by example of Okteta)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Aug 5 19:39:22 UTC 2009

On 05.08.09 14:42:34, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Mardi, le 4 août 2009, à 14:54, Andreas Pakulat a écrit:
> > On 04.08.09 14:35:20, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Bug: Usage of groups in XMLGUI
> > > ------------------------------
> > > What is the reason for all the grouping with e.g. "<DefineGroup
> > > append="new_merge" name="new_merge"/>" in kdevelopui.rc?
> > > This breaks proper integration of all non-Kate KParts.
> > >
> > > Just load an image and
> > > see "Save As..." and "Properties" added as last items to the "File" menu
> > > instead of where "ui_standards.rc" would place them. I for now "fixed"
> > > the oktetapartreadwriteui.rc file by also making use of the groups, but
> > > this is KDevelop-specific and a broken hack.
> >
> > Groups are a supported feature of xmlgui and allows us to keep control over
> > where exactly actions from loaded kparts are shown in the menu. IMHO kparts
> > not using groups are just broken, even ui_standard.rc supports groups as
> > far as I understand (with those MergeLocal name="...." stuff) and thats
> > where most of our group names from from.
>
> But I wonder if groups are needed here? What is different here from e.g.
> the other big kpart-using program, Konqueror*? There those groups aren't
> (re-)defined, and all actions smoothly integrate as defined in ui_standard.rc

I'm not sure anymore what the reason was. The groups have been
introduced about 1.5 years ago by one of us who's rather familiar with
xmlgui. But konqueror not doing it doesn't prove anything, its xmlgui
file has probably not changed since years.

However a quick look at kxmlgui.xsd suggests that parts/plugins
shouldn't use the append-feature at all. I'm not sure whats wrong, the
xsd or the implementation or both. So what we need is input from someone
who knows xmlgui in-and-out and I think the only person coming close to
that is David Faure at the moment.

> > > Feature: Statusbar items
> > > ------------------------
> > > Could there be an option to show statusbar items like the KPart has for
> > > row/column?
> >
> > Same as the one above, with a kdevelop plugin this will just work.
> >
> > > What do you think? Who of you works on these parts of KDevelop? For a
> > > start, where would I need to look to solve the Save/Revert problem?
> >
> > kdevplatform/shell/partdocument.cpp.
>
> So I have to make my own hands dirty, oh well, was to be expected ;)
>
> Have started to look around. I hope it's okay that I directly commit all the
> little fixes for things that I see while trying to grasp how things are
> working.

Well, as you can see we're watching the commit diffs, so we'll moan when
we don't like them. Small changes are ok to commit without review.
BTW: I'm still waiting for two reverts from the first two commits though ;)

You dialed 5483.