KDE/kdebase/apps/dolphin/src

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 1 02:18:08 UTC 2009

On 31.07.09 19:50:57, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> this really, really looks like the kind of thing that would benefit from usage
> of kdevplatform. there's really no point, in my mind, of rewriting vcs code
> over and over again in every app that would benefit from it.
>
> there seem to be technical obstacles to that, however.
>
> in Plasma, we've run into the issue that the kdevplatform rev control code is
> a bit too tightly integrated into the rest of the whole kdevplatform. we have
> no problems depending on kdevplatform for our needs (Plasmate) but we really
> want just the revision control part of the platform, not everything else that
> comes with it.
>
> for Dolphin, i could imagine that the plugins could live just about anywhere,
> so again the dependency issue shouldn't be huge, but the "whole platform"
> issue comes up again here.
>
> to the KDevelop people: what is the best way to take advantage of the vcs code
> in kdevplatform without implementing a full "KDevplatform" app?

Well, the short answer is: You can't. The longer answer is that there's
probably a way of moving out the vcs-specific codebases into separate
libraries/plugins (KDE-API on top of the actual backend as far as
possible).  That would allow sharing the code that interacts with the
vcs API/process and provide a vcs-independent API on top of that.

What would be needed for that is a library that provides basically the
same as the current kdevplatformvcs library (regarding interfaces and
classes) and adding a mechanism to query for the interfaces in some way
- i.e. something like VcsSystem::basicVcsInterface( <somelocalurl> ).

The kdevplatform plugins would then use this instead of the backend API
directly to implement the kdevplatformvcs API (not sure if we coudl
re-use the interface-classes from the library).

One thing that definetly doesn't work (for KDevelops use-case) is a
kio-service. We had that in kdevelop3 and kio is just not meant for
that from my experience.

You will get what you deserve.