KDE/kdebase/apps/dolphin/src

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 1 01:50:57 UTC 2009

this really, really looks like the kind of thing that would benefit from usage
of kdevplatform. there's really no point, in my mind, of rewriting vcs code
over and over again in every app that would benefit from it.

there seem to be technical obstacles to that, however.

in Plasma, we've run into the issue that the kdevplatform rev control code is
a bit too tightly integrated into the rest of the whole kdevplatform. we have
no problems depending on kdevplatform for our needs (Plasmate) but we really
want just the revision control part of the platform, not everything else that
comes with it.

for Dolphin, i could imagine that the plugins could live just about anywhere,
so again the dependency issue shouldn't be huge, but the "whole platform"
issue comes up again here.

to the KDevelop people: what is the best way to take advantage of the vcs code
in kdevplatform without implementing a full "KDevplatform" app?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se