Move completion widget further up

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Apr 25 08:49:21 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 April 2009, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009 05:23:04 David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag 23 April 2009 21:08:31 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got a bit of a problem with the completion widget because most of
> > > the time I'm adding new methods I do this at the end of the file, which
> > > means that my cursor is at the bottom of the kate view. Can we make it
> > > such that if the cursor is close to the bottom of the kate view (maybe
> > > 1/5th of the height) that the completion widget then pops up above that
> > > area? So for example if I have the cursor between pixel 160 and 200,
> > > then the bottom of the completion should show up above pixel 160 or
> > > something like that.
> > >
> > > As it is now, I sometimes can only see the "Implement" string as
> > > everything else is cut by the screen bottom.
> >
> > I've done a patch to kdelibs today to make the code-completion use the
> > full space at bottom until the end of the screen. Given that we waste
> > quite a bit vertical space at the bottom, and there's usually a panel,
> > isn't that enough room to show a completion list?
>
> Not if kdevelop is running fullscreen.
>
> > Additionally you could open the
> > code-browser and be fine ;-)
> >
> > The problem about popping it up at the top is the argument-hints, where
> > to move those then?
>
> Still above, but to the right.

And what if your cursor is near the right edge? Even now we have a problem
there...

I think it would be better to  make the placement more intelligent, by not
always aligning the left edge with the cursor, i.e. when we are far right it
should align the right edge. And if we are somewhere in the top of the
document, display the lists like now, if we are somewhere at the bottom,
reverse the list, i.e. best match just above the cursor, argument hints below

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de