A few questions about UI strings

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sun Apr 12 11:49:30 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 12 April 2009 13:35:02 schrieb Randy Kramer:
> On Saturday 11 April 2009 08:03:52 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 11.04.09 18:57:05, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > while translating, I found somme issues, I was unsure about.
> > >
> > > ====
> > > kdevelop/languages/cpp/quickopen.cpp
> > > "This file imports the current open document<br/>"
>
> (From a lurker) No, a file cannot import anything.  I think maybe two
> things are needed--a (possibly longer) clear (English) sentence that
> describes exactly what the command does (because surely it is a command
> that does something, and not a file), and then maybe a better / more
> exact / correct short English phrase that will be used in the English
> version of the program and which the translator can translate
> accurately to his own language.
>
> Since I'm not even a user of kdevelop at this time, I can only guess
> about that (longer) clear (English) sentence, but, I will:
>
> "This command imports / includes a file (specified after this command is
> selected) into the current open document (at the location of the
> cursor).
>
> or possibly, it's the other way around--nah, seems pretty unlikely:
>
> "This command imports / includes the current open document into a file
> specified after this command is selected."
>
> The short English phrase might then be (assuming the first case, above):
>
> Import a file into the current (or open) document.
>
> or maybe even just:
>
> Import a file.
>
> Sorry if I'm totally confused or adding to the confusion.
Nope, the sentence is correct already, if you just replace the "imports" with
an "includes" to make it C++ specific, and then it means exactly what it says:
The file includes the currently open one, using an #include directive. I agree
it is kind of hard to translate this without the correct context, so it's good
that you're asking.

Example: You have a file called "test1.h" open and active. There is another
file "test2.h", that contains "#include "test1.h"". Then "test2.h" will be
shown in the quickopen list with exactly that text.

One thing for all these programming language specific things: It's better to
not translate it at all, than translating it wrongly.

About the "parsing actual file": It's like Andreas Pakulat said. Although this
thing probably shouldn't be visible in the UI at all, only in the log output,
and that doesn't need to be translated, so don't worry about that.

Greetings, David